February 27, 2013 By Wallin & Klarich

Under California Penal Code section 4852, the court can issue an order declaring that a person convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanor sex offenses is now rehabilitated. This will provide many benefits to you. That is why it is important to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately if you are seeking a Certificate of Rehabilitation.

Seeking a California Certificate of Rehabilitation

To get one of these orders, you will have to file a petition with the court. If the court grants your order, you will be granted a Certificate of Rehabilitation.


Getting the court to grant you a Certificate of Rehabilitation is not easy and requires the help of a skilled attorney. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled attorneys have been helping our clients obtain Certificates of Rehabilitation for over 30 years. We know what you need to do in order to obtain a Certificate of Rehab.

In order to have a Certificate of Rehabilitation granted, you need to show the judge that you have been rehabilitated. What exactly this entails will depend on the circumstances of your case. To qualify for a Certificate of Rehabilitation, you have to have meet all probation, parole, and sentencing requirements for the offense you committed.

You also cannot have committed an additional crime or been incarcerated since committing the initial offense. If you do not meet the qualifications for a certificate, the court will not grant your petition.

Benefits to Receiving a Certificate of Rehabilitation

Certificate of RehabReceiving a Certificate of Rehabilitation can provide a number of benefits for you. Some of the potential benefits you may receive from obtaining a Certificate of Rehabilitation include:

  • Relief from sex offender registration if you are required to register under PC 290
  • Better opportunities to pursue and maintain employment
  • Automatic application for a Governor’s Pardon

However, it is also important to note that a Certificate of Rehabilitation will not completely erase your criminal record. A Certificate of Rehabilitation does not do the following:

  • Erase or seal your criminal record
  • Prevent your offense from being considered as a prior offense if you are later convicted of a new crime
  • Allow you to answer on an employment application that you have not been convicted of a crime if you were convicted of a felony

Call the Criminal Defense Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich

If your criminal record is holding back your life, you need to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to see if you are eligible to seek a Certificate of Rehabilitation. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled attorneys have been successfully helping our clients obtain post-conviction relief for over 30 years. If you wish to obtain a Certificate of Rehabilitation, our knowledgeable attorneys will give you your best chance at getting your request granted.

With offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina and Victorville, our skilled attorneys are available to help you no matter where you work or live.

Call our offices today at (888) 280-6839 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.