Enforcing out of state child support obligation:

By: Wallin & Klarich

Do you have an existing order or judgment for a child support order? Does the payer want to move out of state? Do you worry that you won’t be able to collect your child support payment once they move?

The good news is that the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act was created to govern the establishment, enforcement and modification of child support between states.

If California issued the order, California law governs the nature, extent, amount, duration of current payment to be enforced under the existing order as well as computation and payment of support that is past due (arrears). Child support orders are enforceable until they are paid in full so you do no not need to worry about a statute of limitations.

If California has continuing and exclusive jurisdiction over the support order, California may act to enforce or modify the order. A party can file documents in the California court requesting a sister state court to enforce or modify a California court order.

At the law offices of Wallin & Klarich we have more than 30 years of experience helping our clients in this complicated area. If you need more information and would like the assistance of a Wallin & Klarich attorney please free to contact us at any time.

Posted In: Family Law Issues