- Aggravated assault
If you have been charged with committing a violent crime, you need to contact an attorney immediately.
Sentence Enhancements for Violent Crimes
Sentences for violent crimes can be severe and it is important for you to be aware of your legal rights. Sometimes, the court can enhance your punishment if you are convicted of a violent crime.
The court will typically enhance sentences for crimes related to gang activity, firearms, or great bodily injury. Examples of sentencing enhancements can include:
- If the victim suffers substantial bodily injury, you could face an additional three to six years in prison.
- If the crime was done to help or benefit a gang, your sentence will be enhanced automatically by an additional 15 years to life in prison.
- If you used a gun to commit a crime, you could face an additional ten years in prison.
- If you fired a gun during the commission of a crime, you could face an additional twenty years in prison.
- If you killed or injured someone with a gun, your sentence could be enhanced by an additional 25 years to life in prison.
Three Strikes Law Sentencing Enhancements
California also has a three strikes law. This sentencing structure imposes additional sentences on individuals who have been convicted of prior felonies.
The most serious sentence enhancement is an additional 25 years to life in prison for individuals who are convicted of three felonies for violent crimes. Your sentence can only be enhanced to the 25 to life sentence if all three of your felony convictions were for violent felonies.
Even when all three strikes are for non-violent crimes, there are some instances where the court can enhance your sentence by an additional 25 years to life in prison.
These punishments are severe and can negatively impact your life. If you or a loved one has been charged with a violent crime, it is imperative that you contact an attorney who will vigorously defend you in court.
For over thirty years, Wallin & Klarich has successfully represented clients charged with violent crimes. We understand that this is a very scary time for you and your family.
It’s time to protect your legal rights. You don’t want to spend the rest of your life in prison. Call Wallin & Klarich today at (888) 280-6839 to speak with one of our highly trained California criminal defense attorneys. We will be there when you call.