What can I do if I lied to the police and told them I was raped when I really consented to having sex with a guy I met at a bar? (CVC 31 and PC 118)

By: Wallin & Klarich

When you lie to the police you have committed a crime. California Vehicle Code Section states as follows:

“No person shall give, either orally or in writing, information to a peace officer while in the performance of his duties under the provisions of this code when such person knows that the information is false.”

You can face up to 6 months in jail and be ordered to pay a $1,000.00 fine for committing this offense.

In addition your lie has lead to an innocent person being arrested for one of the most serious crimes there is. If you do not tell the truth that means that you will be put in a horrible situation.

The falsely accused person will likely demand a jury trial as he is in fact innocent. You would be called to testify by the prosecutor at the trial. You would then have a choice. You would either tell the truth under oath and at that point the prosecutor will be extremely upset and will likely want to prosecute you for a crime. On the other hand if you take the stand and lie under oath you have committed the felony crime of perjury (PENAL CODE SECTION 118). You then will be facing up to 3 years in county jail.

The best thing for you to do is before things get “out of control” you should retain a lawyer who can represent you. The experienced perjury criminal defense lawyer can approach the prosecuting attorney and attempt to explain the circumstances in a manner where hopefully you are not arrested and prosecuted.

The important thing to remember is that an innocent man is facing many years in prison and having to register as a sex offender if he were to be found guilty of rape due to your false allegations. You need to make this right now.

Wallin & Klarich has over 30 years of experience defending clients from various criminal charges. If you or a loved one is being charged with Perjury, penal code 118, you must call our offices now at 888-280-6839. We have offices in Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Ventura and Orange County. We will be there when you call.

Posted In: Criminal Defense