I’m Charged with a Violation of a Restraining Order. What Should I Do Next?

By: Wallin & Klarich

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERARestraining orders are civil orders that can be requested by the individuals who believe they are the victims of crime, violence or harassment. The alleged victim must first file for and receive a temporary restraining order, or a TRO. The judge will then schedule a hearing to determine if there is sufficient evidence to grant a permanent restraining order. At this hearing, the court will require a higher burden of proof prior to granting a permanent restraining order.

If a restraining order is granted against an individual, it can last for as long as five years. During the period of time that the restraining order is in place, a person will be ordered to surrender any weapons he or she uses or possesses. An intentional and knowing violation of a restraining order is punishable as a misdemeanor for up to a year and a $1000 fine. Repeat violators can be fined up to $2,000. In addition, a violation of a restraining order by a person who is placed on probation will likely result in his or her probation violation.

Speak to an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney

If you have been accused of violating a restraining order, you will need an experienced criminal defense attorney to vigorously represent you. At Wallin & Klarich, we have helped people accused of this crime for over 30 years. Let our trusted team of attorneys help you with your case.

With offices in Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Torrance, Tustin, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina and Victorville, there is an experienced Wallin & Klarich criminal defense attorney near you no matter where you work or live.

Call us today at (888) 280-6839 for a free phone consultation. We will be there when you call.

Posted In: Restraining Orders