California Alcohol and Chemical Testing

By: Wallin & Klarich

Do I Need A California DUI Attorney? I Took an Alcohol and/or Chemical Test and I Need a DUI Lawyer

Under California law drivers pulled over for suspicion of driving under the influence have the right to refuse a preliminary alcohol screening test. A person lawfully detained for suspicion of DUI in California can refuse the PAS test, and only have to submit to a breath or chemical test after being arrested for suspicion of DUI. Under certain circumstances, refusing a PAS test may be tremendously beneficial to a driver detained for suspicion of DUI.

As of 2009, California Vehicle Code Section 23154 states that a person who is on probation for a DUI and who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to a California PAS test or other chemical test for the purpose of determining the presence of alcohol in the person. CVC section 23154 states that a failure to submit to or the failure to complete such a test will result in the suspension or revocation of the person’s privilege to operate a motor vehicle for a period of one to three years.

Hiring an experienced criminal defense law firm can greatly increase your chances of keeping your license. The Orange County DUI defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have been helping people keep their license for over 30 years.

Please feel free to contact Wallin & Klarich to discuss your case. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 877-466-5245 or go to our website at for more information.

Posted In: Criminal Defense