Under California Penal Code section 243.4 it is illegal to touch an intimate part of another person against his or her will for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse.
A sexual assault charge is serious. If you are facing a sexual assault charge in Huntington Beach, the first thing you should do is contact an experienced Huntington Beach Criminal Defense Attorney at Wallin & Klarich. Hiring an attorney at the beginning of your case will ensure the best possible outcome in this serious matter.
Sexual Assault Prosecution in Huntington Beach
To convict you of sexual assault in Huntington Beach, the prosecution must prove the following:
1. You touched an intimate part of the victim;
2. The touching was done against the victim’s will; AND 3. The touching was done for the specific purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse.
Sexual Assault Sentencing and Punishment in Huntington Beach
• Misdemeanor sexual assault is punishable by up to six months in county jail and fines of up to $2,000.
• Felony sexual assault is punishable by up to 4 years in county jail and fines of up to $10,000 if it is found that:
o You unlawfully restrained the victim,
o The victim was institutionalized,
o You used a false representation, OR o You touched the bare skin of the victim’s intimate part or caused the victim’s bare skin to touch your intimate part.
Sex Offender Registration
Most devastating of all, if you are convicted for sexual assault, you will be required to register as a sex offender pursuant to Penal Code section 290. Registering as a sex offender is a humiliating experience and can affect your ability to find a place to live and work. Once you register as a sex offender, you will be placed on an online database pursuant to Megan’s Law and your name, address, photograph, and offense will be released to the public. If you are required to register as a sex offender, then you will likely have to remain on the sex offender database for the rest of your life. Therefore, it is important to hire an experienced Huntington Beach Criminal Defense Attorney to fight your sexual assault charge so you can avoid having to register as a sex offender.
Defenses to Sexual Assault in Huntington Beach
Fortunately, to prevent the consequences that result from a sexual assault conviction, your attorney at Wallin & Klarich can raise a variety of defenses on your behalf, including:
1. The victim consented to the touching;
2. You did not touch an intimate part of the victim;
3. You did not touch the victim for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse;
4. The victim mistakenly identified you as the attacker; and 5. The victim is falsely accusing you of sexual assault.
Sexual Assault Defense Attorney at Wallin & Klarich in Huntington Beach
If you or someone you know has been charged with sexual assault in Huntington Beach, you need to contact an experienced Huntington Beach Sexual Assault Defense Attorney who is dedicated to giving you the best legal representation possible. With offices in Huntington Beach, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks, Wallin & Klarich has successfully represented clients facing sexual battery charges for over 30 years. Drawing from our extensive experience, our talented defense lawyers will thoroughly review your case and develop an effective defense strategy to get the best possible outcome for you.
Call us today at (888)-280-6839 or fill out our client intake form online. We will get through this together.