March 12, 2013 By Wallin & Klarich

Child custody orders are very strict, and you face severe penalties if you don’t follow these court orders. However, that does not mean that child custody are set in stone forever. If you are unhappy with a prior child custody order, you may be able to have the child custody modified. In order to have your best chance to have your request for modification granted, you will need the help of an experienced child custody attorney.

How to Modify a Child Custody Order

Change Child CustodyIf you wish to modify an existing child custody order in California, your skilled child custody attorney will need to petition the court to modify the order. The judge will only modify child custody orders if your family law attorney can show there has been a substantial change in your circumstances. The court will consider many factors in making its decision.

Some reasons that would be considered a substantial change in circumstances that could lead to your modification request being granted include:

  • The birth of another child
  • You or the child’s other parent lost a job
  • A material change in the living situation of you or the child’s other parent occurred
  • You or the child’s other parent is moving far away
  • Drug or alcohol abuse by you or the child’s other parent
  • Any history of physical violence

Keep in mind that the courts will always make a decision based on the “best interests of the child.” It will be up to you and your child custody lawyer to show the court that modifying child custody orders would be in the child’s best interests.

Call the Child Custody Lawyers at Wallin & Klarich

If you wish to change existing child custody orders, you need to speak to an experienced family law attorney at Wallin & Klarich immediately. Our skilled child custody lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in child custody and family law matters for over 30 years. We will fight for your child’s best interests and help you get the best possible outcome in your case. We’ve helped thousands of clients with child custody matters, and we can help you now.

Our offices are located in Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, San Diego, Torrance, West Covina, Sherman Oaks, Ventura and Victorville. We have experienced attorneys available to help you no matter where you work or live.

Contact us today for a free phone consultation at (888) 280-6839 so we can begin working on your case. We will be there when you call.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.