If You Have Accepted A Plea Bargain To Any Crime, You Have Six Months To File A Motion To Withdraw That Plea

By: Wallin & Klarich

In a perfect world, when you enter into a plea bargain and accept responsibility for a crime (felony or misdemeanor), you should feel confident and assured that you have done the right thing – that you know about all the potential consequences and side effects of accepting a plea bargain. However, this is not a perfect world and reality is that you may not feel comfortable or confident with your decision of accepting the plea. It is also possible that you may find out subsequent to the plea that there are additional negative ramifications of your plea that you were not aware of at the time of the plea. If you find yourself in this situation, you have SIX MONTHS to file a motion to withdraw your plea.

There are caveats to the withdrawal though. If you were not represented by an attorney at the time of the plea, then the court SHALL withdraw the plea if done within six months. However, if you were represented by an attorney at the time of the plea, then the court MAY withdraw your plea, if you have good cause for dismissal. Good cause can be in, different forms but you must be able to articulate that to the court. It could be, that your attorney didn’t fully explain something to you or probation is giving you additional terms you were not made aware of at the time of plea or the plea has affected a part of your life that the court did not advise you of at the time of the plea.

Thus, it is important to hire a criminal defense attorney who is well-versed in criminal law and who can inform you of all of the possible consequences before accepting a plea bargain.

Wallin & Klarich has been handling Plea Withdrawal cases for decades. Contact the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich to represent you in this difficult and stressful time in your life. Visit our website www.wklaw.com and feel free to call us at 888-280-6839. We will be here when you call.

Posted In: Withdrawl of Plea