July 12, 2011 By Wallin & Klarich

If you are convicted of a sex crime that triggers the lifetime requirement to register as a sex offender, you will be responsible for abiding by certain requirements.

A failure to do so can result in additional jail time. If you were convicted of a felony sex offense and you violate the registration requirements, you can be thrown into state prison for up to three years. You can spend up to one year in county jail if the underlying offense was a misdemeanor.

These are the basic rules to registering as a sex offender:

Where do I Report?
You must appear in person to register with the police department of the city where you live, or with the sheriff’s department if there is no police department.

How often do I Report?
You must register every year for the rest of your life. You must update your information within 5 days after your birthday, or within 5 days of changing your address.

What if I am Homeless?
Even if you are homeless, you still have an obligation to register. You would have to register as a “transient” within 5 working days after being released from custody. You will have to register with the nearest law enforcement agency where you are physically present and you must update your information every 30 days.

What if I Change My Name?
You must inform the law enforcement agency of your name change within 5 working days after the name change.

Do I Register if I am Attending a California University?
Yes. If you are enrolled or employed by the University of California, California State University, community college or other institution of higher learning, you will be required to register with the campus police department in addition to your normal registration requirement.

Do I Have to Register in California if I was Convicted of a Sex Offense Out-of-State?
If you were convicted of a sex offense in another state, you will likely be required to register in California if you were required to register in your other state.

What if I Have More than One Residence?
If you live in two different addresses, you need to register with law enforcement agencies near each residence.

Do I Have to Register if I am a Juvenile Sex Offender?
Yes, but your identity cannot be publicly disclosed by law enforcement as a registered sex offender.

Can I Get Out of Having to Register as a Sex Offender
Yes. You can get a certificate of rehabilitation or a governor’s pardon to relieve yourself of the duty to register as a sex offender. You will need to help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have been in practice for over 30 years and can help you get out of registering as a sex offender. Call us today at 888-749-0034 or visit us online at www.wklaw.com. We will be there for you when you call.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.