Published on:

Domestic Violence – Officer’s Presence At One’s Residence (Part 1)

Several cases have involved situations wherein officers go to a residence in response to a report of domestic violence being committed. Generally, if an obviously battered victim is present and the batterer is still within the residence, the officer may enter the residence to arrest the batterer. This was expressed in the case of People v. Frye (1998) 18 Cal.4th 894.

The issue is whether, in light of the facts known to the officer at the time, the officer could have reasonably concluded that immediate action was necessary. An attorney may be able to argue that had the officer left the scene to obtain a warrant, there was not a significant risk of additional harm. Such an argument is fact-intensive and requires review and analysis by an experienced California domestic violence defense attorney.

If you or someone you love is facing criminal charges in California, contact the experienced Southern California criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today at 1-888-280-6839 or www.wklaw.com for a consultation of your case. We can help you.

About Wallin & Klarich


Wallin & Klarich was established in 1981. Over the past 32 years, our law firm has helped tens of thousands of families in their time of legal need. Regardless of whether our clients faced criminal or DUI charges, the loss of their driving privilege, or wanted to clean up their criminal record, we have been there to help them.