October 2, 2009 By Wallin & Klarich

Numerous Court of Appeal cases have approved the police practice of “knock and talk” based entirely on an anonymous and uncorroborated tip. Recently, the California Supreme Court stated, “even if acting on an anonymous tip, police may knock on the door of a residence, speak with the occupant, and request permission to enter and search” People v. Rivera, 41 Cal.4th 304 (2007).

An aggressive and experienced Orange County criminal defense attorney may be able to argue that such conduct on the part of the police violated your Fourth Amendment right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures. An argument can be made that the sanctity of the home is threatened when police approach a residence, knock on the door, and converse with a homeowner in an effort to obtain consent to search.

If you or someone you love has been accused of a crime in Orange County California, contact the skilled Orange County criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today at 1-888-280-6839 or www.wklaw.com for a consultation of your case. We can help you.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.