May 6, 2009 By Wallin & Klarich

If You Have a Juvenile Record, You Have a Statutory Right to Hire a Juvenile Defense Attorney to Petition the California Juvenile Court to Seal Your Record

You would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not made a mistake as a youth. Youthful indiscretions, no matter how common, may greatly affect an individual’s life thereafter. Often times a juvenile record in California can come back to haunt a person as they look for employment, or attempt to further their education. It is common knowledge that a person who has a juvenile record, may suffer from negative consequences as a result of the record. However, what most people are unaware of is what can be done about sealing a juvenile record.

By statute, individuals have a right to petition the Juvenile Court to seal the juvenile record, as well as the records in custody of other agencies. This includes records in the custody of law enforcement agencies and public officials. Under California Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 389 and 781, an individual may petition to have their juvenile record sealed if either one of the following occurs: five years or more after the jurisdiction of the juvenile court has terminated, five years or more after the individual was cited to appear or were taken before a probation officer or any officer of a law enforcement agency where no petition was filed in the Juvenile Court, or at any time after the individual has reached the age of 18. Cleaning up your criminal record can significantly improve your chances of getting a job or advancing your education.

If you have a juvenile record and hope to obtain gainful employment or hope to further your education, it is imperative that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Hiring an experienced criminal defense law firm in California can greatly increase your chances sealing your juvenile record. The attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have been helping people keep their record clean for over 30 years.

Please feel free to contact Wallin & Klarich to discuss your case. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-888-280-6839, or go to our website at for more information.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.