September 24, 2007 By Wallin & Klarich

In at least 28 cities in California law enforcement can seize and sell your car if they believe that it was being used to sell drugs or to engage in prostitution. These laws have led to a high number of people losing their valuable property. The cities claimed in a recent court of appeals case that they need to have this additional tool (to seize and sell the vehicle) as another tool to fight crime.

However, the California Supreme Court recently ruled that cities CANNOT enforce such ordinances.

The court held that state laws on the seizure of vehicles must control. This means that local city ordinances that have such laws as to seizure and sell vehicles cannot be enforced if their laws are more stringent than California state laws.

If you find yourself in a situation where your vehicle has been seized due to an arrest please be certain to contact a qualified criminal defense law firm. At Wallin and Klarich we have almost thirty years of experience assisting clients in these situations. Feel free to contact us for a free case evaluation.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.