April 22, 2007 By Wallin & Klarich

Many Californians are accustomed to driving their vehicles on a daily basis. Although it may appear that driving has become a right to all eligible citizens, the fact remains that a license to drive is a privilege granted by the state of California. Unfortunately, many people face this harsh realization after the state of California suspends or even revokes their license. Because there are a number of criminal actions in which the state’s punishment involves the revocation or suspension of a driver license, it is important for people to be knowledgeable about ways to prevent such an inconvenience in their lives.

One of the easiest ways to ensure that your license to drive will remain secure is to become informed. After reading this article, you will learn the many different actions that can result in loss of your driving privilege. This is the first in a series of three articles on this topic.

Drug and Alcohol Related Offenses Committed by Adults

Driving Under the Influence
The DMV will suspend or revoke your driver license if you are convicted of a DUI. If you are convicted of a DUI, your license will be suspended for six months. Your license will not be reinstated until you provide proof of financial responsibility and proof of completion of an approved DUI program.

Driving Under the Influence if Under Age 21
If you are under the age of 21 but over the age of 18, the DMV will suspend your license if you are convicted of a DUI. Your license will not be reinstated until you prove to be financially responsible and complete an approved DUI program.

Failure to Submit to Chemical or Preliminary Alcohol Screening (PAS) Test
If you refuse to submit or complete a chemical or preliminary alcohol screening test requested by a police officer, the DMV will either suspend or revoke your license for up to three years.

Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .01 or More if Under Age 21
If you are under 21 years of age and you have a blood alcohol concentration of .01 percent or greater, the DMV will suspend your driver license. The duration of the suspension will depend upon your previous driving record.

Controlled Substance Offenses
A court may suspend your license for up to three years if you are convicted of any offense involving controlled substances when the use of a motor vehicle is involved.

The most important thing you can do after being cited and/or arrested is immediately go to www.wklawdui.com and read about how Wallin & Klarich can help you avoid the suspension or revocation of your license, stay out of jail and avoid a large fine. You will need to do your homework quickly in order to help Wallin & Klarich win your case. You have the right to have a DMV hearing to contest the potential suspension or revocation of your license, and, if successful, have the DMV action set aside. You also have the right to be represented by an attorney at that hearing. Wallin & Klarich has been handling DMV hearings throughout Southern California for 30 years.

Please make sure you forward this to everyone you care about so they know their legal rights. Please remember if you are arrested your first call should be to the lawyers at Wallin & Klarich at 877-466-5245.

Contact Us
  •   17592 Irvine Blvd,
      Tustin, CA 92780
  •   (714) 730-5300
  •   (888) 280-6839
SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright © 2024 Wallin & Klarich - All rights reserved

California Criminal Defense Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor should it be considered the formation of a lawyer or attorney-client relationship. Any case results presented on the site are based upon the facts of a particular case and do not represent a promise or guarantee. The contents of this website may contain legal advertising. If you would like to find out more information about your particular legal matter, contact our office for a free telephonic consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the state of California.