How will a charge of Domestic Violence in Orange County change my life? California Penal Code 273.5 PC
A charge of domestic violence in Orange County can completely change your life. A conviction has long-lasting repercussions that can affect you personally, professionally, and financially for years to come. Securing legal representation early on in your case can help to ensure the most favorable outcome.
Under California Penal Code 273.5, a domestic violence charge is a wobbler offense and may result in either a misdemeanor or felony conviction. The District Attorney has wide latitude with regard to charging decisions. If charged as a felony, you may face prison time; if charged as a misdemeanor, you may face up to one year in county jail. Due to the discretionary nature of domestic violence charges, an Orange County domestic violence defense lawyer from Wallin & Klarich may impact the prosecutor’s charging decisions.
Additional Punishments for Domestic Violence Convictions in Orange County
In addition to the possibility of jail time, a domestic violence conviction may lead to a number of other consequences, including:
• Probation for a minimum of three years
• High fees and heavy fines
• Mandatory attendance in an anger management/batterer’s treatment program for a fifty-two week period
• Loss of the right to possess, use or own a firearm for a minimum of ten years
• Deportation from the United States if you are not a U.S. citizen
Even more devastating, a domestic violence conviction may affect any pending child custody disputes in which you are involved. Potential consequences include the following:
• Imposition of a “monitored visitation” requirement, which will remain in effect until the you can prove that you are no longer a risk
• Restriction from coming within 1000 feet of your family—including your own children—if the domestic violence is alleged by your spouse or co-habitant and he/she files a successful Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) against you.
Fortunately, even in cases where evidence of domestic violence is strong, an established criminal defense law firm like Wallin & Klarich can push for a substantially reduced sentence. Thus, your first step should be to obtain legal representation.
After going over the facts of your case, we can explore potential defenses, such as an act of self-defense, an accident, or false accusations. Depending on your specific case, we may be able to obtain community service or probation and avoid a jail sentence altogether. It may even be possible to persuade the prosecuting attorney to drop the domestic violence charges entirely, though this will depend on the circumstances of your individual case.
Contact our Team of Experienced Orange County Domestic Violence Lawyers Today
Harsh consequences may result from a domestic violence conviction in Orange County. Our team of Orange County domestic violence defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich will work to ensure that you face the least severe penalty possible. Our Orange County domestic violence defense lawyers have years of experience defending clients in domestic violence cases and are here to help you. Please call (888) 280-6839 or fill out our intake form on line to receive our immediate assistance. We have offices in Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, Victorville and Orange County. We will be there when you call.