Sex Crime Law and Megan's Law Hysteria
Are you or a loved one charged with or convicted of a sex crime? If so, a host of complicated legal issues await you. The California sex crime defense lawyers at the law firm of Wallin & Klarich has represented thousands of individuals over the past 30 years that have had legal issues with the justice system regarding sex crimes. Issues such as:
1) Successful representation at the trial court level for those charged with sex crimes – Navigating a sex case in our criminal justice system is not easy and requires an attorney with skills and knowledge specific to sex cases. From how the investigation is conducted, to retaining the proper experts, crucial aspects of the case are at stake and poor representation at the trial level will have grave implications for your life… such as registering as a sex criminal for life and potential jail and/or prison. Extraordinary problems such as this require the services of extraordinary attorneys at Wallin & Klarich.
2) Representing people who are seeking exclusion from internet disclosure that they are a registered sex offender- Over the past 30-40 years, countless sex offenders have been agreeing to plea agreements not knowing that one day, their name will be on an “internet”. That simply did not exist when the plea was entered into. The defendant is tough out of luck. Unless your attorney can present to the Attorney General of California sufficient record to establish an exclusion, your name and information will be on the internet for all to see. Wallin & Klarich understand the exclusions from disclosure.
3) Prepare and file for a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor’s Pardon to stop 290 sex registration in California- The only way to stop 290 sex registration in the State of California is seeking a Certificate of Rehabilitation and a Governor’s Pardon. There are only a few sex crimes where a mere Certificate of Rehabilitation granted by a Superior Court judge would absolve a person’s obligation from sex registration as defined by California sex crime law under Penal Code section 290. Most however, require a Governor’s Pardon. A judge granting a certificate becomes an automatic application for a Governor’s Pardon. Wallin & Klarich have been representing countless persons that are simply sick and tired of registering for a crime committed 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. Upstanding citizens, people who have families and jobs and own businesses. These are the people that Wallin & Klarich helped seek removal from the 290 list.
4) Seek writ of mandate based upon the Hofsheier case that ruled “certain sex crimes” should not require mandatory registration- There are certain sex crimes that used to require 290 sex registration. The Hofsheier case basically said that it was unconstitutional to mandate registration on certain sex crimes. Since that case, the Attorney General of California has been sending letters to all sex registrants advising them that this case may effect them. If you got this letter or know someone that has, call the law firm of Wallin & Klarich.
5) Jessica’s Law enforced in each neighborhood and the legality- Where can I live and how far from a school, a park or places where children congregate? Why are some towns enforcing certain rules and others are not? Can I be forced to sell my house? These are just some of the questions answered at Wallin & Klarich. We have dealt with the City Attorney of many cities when confronted by these Prop 83 situations.
6) Represented parents in dependency court against Child Protective Services alleging abuse or neglect- Going against the Child Protective Services can be a nightmare in itself. If your children have been taken away due to neglect or abuse, you need an aggressive child abuse attorney in California to seek return of your family. Wallin & Klarich have been assisting parents for over 30 years in family reunification when their children are taken from them by the county.
7) Representing persons convicted of sex crimes on appeal- Wallin & Klarich has represented hundreds of clients on appeal. Felony appeals require a “Notice of Appeal” be filed within 60 days of sentence. Misdemeanor appeals require a 30 days Notice of Appeal. Representation has included Writs of Habeas Corpus based upon ineffective assistance of counsel or often newly discovered evidence such as recanting by the complaining victim.
8) Legal issues regarding probation or parole terms relating to convicted sex offenders- Sex terms of probation and parole have expanded enormously over the past 5 years. Wearing GPS devices, as an example is becoming more popular. Having no contact with a relative of yours due to their age and your conviction can also trigger problems where you will need an attorney to seek a change of that condition. Wallin & Klarich can review and evaluate your specific terms and appeal or seek modification of an unreasonable or illegal condition. We often seek a mental health professional to assist and further put forth our argument that contact should be permitted.
If you need an attorney regarding any of the above issues, I urge you to contact the Los Angeles sex crime attorneys at Wallin & Klarich at 888-749-0034 and visit our website www.wklaw.com. The stakes are just too high not to.